Avocado – Healthy. Chickpeas – Healthy. Cottage cheese (homemade) – Surprisingly HEALTHY.
This is a super duper ultra elementary level salad. There’s no cooking involved except for boiling the chickpeas and making the cottage cheese. Trust me, they both are super easy and does not take much time.
Also, this one’s so easy that it should not be a part of anybody’s blog. But it is SUPER HEALTHY.
Since the recipe is uncomplicated, I am mentioning a few health benefits of Chickpeas, Avocado and Cottage Cheese.
Chickpeas – Health Benefits
- These legumes are high in fiber, proteins and many many many vitamins.
- For people with diabetes, it helps controlling the sugar levels.
- Presence of calcium, manganese, iron, phosphate and vitamin K helps in maintaining bone structure and strength.
- High fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B-6 supports heart health.
- Lowers the amount of bad cholesterol in the blood.
Avocado – Health Benefits
- Also known as alligator pear or butter fruit. Reduces risk of many lifestyle related health conditions.
- Loaded with heart healthy fatty acids.
- Helps decrease risk of depression.
- Despite it’s creamy texture, an avocado is high in fiber and aids digestion.
- Natural Detoxification through avocado. Protection from chronic disease.
Cottage Cheese – Health Benefits
- Weight loss, rich source of protein, healthy fats and B complex vitamin.
- Good source of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus.
- Heart friendly.
- Helps in maintaining blood sugar levels.
- Controls anxiety.
Avocado Chickpeas and Cheese Salad:
- Boiled Chickpeas – 250 grams
- Avocado – one half ( cut into cubes)
- Cottage Cheese – 100 – 125 grams
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Capsicum – 1 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 1 1/2 finely chopped ( DE-seeded)
- Salt – to taste
- Oregano – to taste
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper- 1/4 teaspoon
Note – you can add one or two garlic. But since we are using raw onions and capsicum, it kind of spices up the salad. If you like spicy food, you should definitely add finely chopped garlic and green chilies.
- In a pressure cooker, cook soaked Chickpeas ( soaked for at least 8 to 10 hours) for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Cottage Cheese – In a pan pour half a liter of milk, add salt and let it boil for 5 minutes. Add a table spoon of white vinegar ( lime – optional) and take it off the flame once the whey is separated from the cheese.
- In a strainer, place a muslin cloth and empty the cheese in it. Let it rest for a few minutes. After about 5 minutes squeeze the muslin till the excess water and whey is drained out from the cheese. Crumble the cheese and keep it aside.
Mix all the ingredients mentioned above in a huge bowl and eat and serve chilled.
I TOLD YOU IT WAS DAMN EASY!
If you don’t have all the ingredients mentioned, it is fine! Even a plain chickpeas, avocado and cheese salad with olive oil, salt and pepper dressing tastes amazing.
You can also make a avocado paste by grinding it with little water and use it as a dressing for this salad along with salt and olive oil.
If you are not using cheese, you can add lemon to this and it tastes AMAZING!
SO what are you waiting for? Go make this salad, go go go make this salad, go make this salad 🙂
[ yes it is a song 🙂 ]