It is officially “Monsoon Season” in India 🙂 And what better than a hot cup of soup to make you feel cozy during this season. Plus it’s healthy.. so all the “clean eaters” here is something you can indulge in while your family has hot bhajiyas and pakoraas 😀
P.S. It’s even better than those deep fried high calorie bhajiyas 😉
Monsoon takes me back to those days where monsoon meant roasted sweet corn and getting drenched in the rain. And I guess that was enough of a reason to make me add corn to this recipe.
Spinach soup is super low cal. I know a lot of people avoid corn, but trust me the soup tastes much better with corn. If you need 2 portions of spinach soup to keep you full, you’d just need a portion with corn added to it.
Here’s to Monsoon and Eating Clean 😀
Spinach and Sweet Corn Soup :
- Spinach – One bunch
- Onion – 1 medium
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Water – 1 1/2 cups
- Milk – 1 1/4 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Finely cut the spinach bunch and blanch it ( Boil it in water for about 3 minutes). Add salt while blanching. If you consume sugar, add about quarter teaspoon of sugar as it takes out the bitterness of the spinach.
- Boil water in a vessel, add corn to it. Let it boil for 4 minutes then put off the flame and cover the vessel with a lid.
- In a pan dry roast garlic for a minute. Add onions and dry roast it for 2 more minutes. This recipe includes no oil. Although, if needed, you may add a spoon of olive oil or any oil of your choice. Add about quarter of the corn at this stage and dry roast it for a minute before adding the blanched spinach.
- Add the blanched spinach and water. Turn the flame from medium to high and let this mixture boil for a good 5 minutes or till the water has considerably reduced. Keep it aside and let it cool. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Grind the boiled mixture to a smooth liquid paste. Add water if the paste is too thick.
- Over medium flame, pour back this paste in the pan. Add milk, salt and, the remaining corn.
- Boil it for 4 to 5 minutes. Serve SUPER DUPER ULTRA HOT 😀
Note- You may also add any seasoning or cheese of your choice, but it kind of kills the simplicity of the soup.