None, I repeat, none of us can say no to a slice (or a whole) pizza. Also, none, I repeat.. none of us can say no to a bowl full of mac and cheese. Putting these two things together results into the most beautiful thing ever.
Now since I wanted mac and cheese to be the topping for the pizza, I did not use any kind of pizza sauce. Also since I’m a vegetarian, I wanted to add in some interesting vegetable to the mac and cheese. So yes, it was again one of my favorite favorite favorite red pumpkin 🙂
Yes, you read that right. I know it’s not too common yet but TRUST me when I say this, IT IS TO DIE FOR.
So Saturday night for my family and friends was a Pumpkin Mac and Cheese Pizza.
Pumpkin Mac and Cheese:
- Macaroni – 2 bowls (Cooked) [ I used farfalle ]
- Milk – 3/4th ltr
- Flour – 3 tablespoons (All purpose)
- Cheese – 1 bowl (Cheddar preferably)
- Onions – 2 large roughly chopped
- Pumpkin – 250 grams (red)
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Salt – As per taste
- Pepper – As per taste
- Butter – 2 teaspoons (Can be replaced by olive oil)
- In a medium pan on medium flame, pour/add in olive oil/butter, toss in the garlic and onions. Saute the onion for about 4 minutes or till it’s brown. Add the pumpkin (chopped into small squares).
- Add about half a glass of water and cover the pan with a lid for 10 minutes. Once the pumpkin looks transparent or light in color, remove the pan off the flame.
- Set the onion and pumpkin aside.
- On the other side keep the pasta for cooking. Add a spoon of oil in the water as it prevents the macaroni from sticking to each other. Put off the flame and drain the water once the mac is transparent. Set it aside.
- Meanwhile in a large pan on medium flame, pour/add olive oil/butter, add some garlic and roast it for about 20 seconds. Add all purpose flour and roast it for a minute. I make sure at this step itself that no lumps are formed.
- Pour milk little by little making sure THERE ARE NO LUMPS (lumps are the worst thing ever). Once you feel that flour has stopped absorbing milk, you can stop adding the milk. I prefer adding more milk because the sauce tends to thicken up once it cools down.
- Once the milk has thickened, add cheese and stir well.
- Grind the onion-pumpkin to a fine paste. Add this to the white sauce. Add the mac to it. Stir well .And voila! Our Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is ready 🙂
Pumpkin Mac and Cheese Pizza:
- I used the ready made base. You can also prepare the pizza base at home by mixing flour, yeast, salt, warm water and olive oil. Knead it for 6 – 7 minutes and set it aside for about 2 hours(at least). Spread this dough on the pan you would be using to bake the pizza in and start layering the toppings.
- In a pan add butter and roast the pizza bread. Place it on the pan you will be using for baking the pizza. Coat the pan with olive oil.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes on 170 degree Celsius.
- Layer the mac and cheese on the pizza bread.
- Add grated mozzarella cheese.
- Keep the pizza for baking at 170 or 200 degree Celsius for 12 to 15 minutes.
I know the procedure is too tedious. But the outcome is equally AMAZING! It is a long procedure, hence once the pizza is ready you are going to be all teary eyed to finally eat that gorgeous thing!
I would suggest against it but, if you want you can spread a layer of pizza sauce on the base.