White Pumpkin Rasavangi is a typical South Indian preparation made in coconut, red chilly, dal and tamarind water gravy.
|SERVES||LEVEL||PREP TIME||COOKING TIME||TOTAL TIME
|6||Easy||20 Minutes.||20-25 minutes.||40-45 minutes.
- White pumpkin – A little less than ½ kg ( diced into medium cubes. Pumpkin after chopping should weigh around 1/2 a kg)
- Tur dal – 1 cup (Pressure cooker for 3 whistles. Mash it once the dal is cooled down)
- Channa dal – 3 tablespoons soaked in water
- Tamarind – A lemon sized soaked in warm water
- Turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – to taste
INGREDIENTS TO BE GRINDED:
- Red chilly– 2 to 3 pieces
- Grated coconut – ½ coconut
- Channa dal – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Sesame oil – as per need*
- Sesame oil – as per need
- Mustard seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Jaggery – 2 pinches
- Curry leaves- few
- Coriander leaves – few
- In a pan roast all the ingredients mentioned in the to be grinded section in sesame oil separately for about 2 – 3 minutes depending upon when it turns golden brown. ( be careful of this step not going wrong i.e. the ingredients does not burn, as it will spoil the taste of the gravy)
- Cool it down and grind it with little water till it forms a semi smooth paste.
- Add pumpkin to a Kadai with water, salt, and turmeric.
- Once the pumpkin is half cooked, add tamarind water and soaked channa dal and let the mixture boil till the dal is cooked and the raw smell of tamarind goes.
- Add the grinded mixture of coconut, red chilies, coriander seeds and channa dal and also tur dal which was earlier pressure cooked to the rasavangi.
- Add two pinches of jaggery for taste.
- In a separate pan heat oil and pop up some mustard seeds and curry leaves which should be added to the cooked rasavangi.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with rice and appalams. (papad)
* Coconut oil can also be used in place of sesame oil.
Rasavangi is an authentic South Indian delicacy which can also be prepared with eggplant (katarikai). All the above ingredients and methods would be the same except, white pumpkin will be replaced with eggplant.